What Makes Me Me

To
All my Awesome Friends
Who, through the good and the bad, make me who I am!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sound Effects Part 1 - Cynthia Stevens

Chapter 1

()

Makenzy Norse watched in horror as her favorite sibling, Matthew Norse, loaded his stuff in his black BMW, ready to finally leave for college.

Matt caught Makenzy's eye, and shot her a sympathetic glance. To Makenzy, her older brother, Matt, meant the world to her.

Ever since the Norse family moved to Jacksonville, Florida, the four Norse kids, Matt(18), Makenzy(14), May(10), and Marie(4), all had to start over at a new school.

Matt was the one thing that helped Makenzy stay alive here in Jacksonville and she was soon starting at her new super rough high school, Jacksonville High School, Academy of Advanced Talent. Now that Matt was moving to Gainesville, a city a few hours north of Jacksonville, how in the world would Makenzy survive?

The Norse family all gave their hugs, Makenzy with waterfalls pouring down her cheeks. Matt waved his last good bye, and drove off.

For about a minute, the now five-person family just stood there, trying to think over what had just happened.

Mr. Norse was the first one to make a move by slowly walking to his car, and driving off to his work at a local radio station. Mrs. Norse put her arms around her young girls, May and Marie, and walked them into the house.

Makenzy still stood there, tears still streaming. She finally settled by sitting on the driveway, her face nestled on her legs.

"Are you ok?" she heard a voice above her say.

Makenzy looked up to find a boy about her age or a bit older standing there looking down at her. The boy kneeled down next to her.

"I-I'm fine," Makenzy said sniffling.

"If you say so. You must be the Norses. I'm Mason Williamson, and I live a few houses down," Mason informed her.

Makenzy sniffled again. "I'm Makenzy, and I go to Jacksonville High School, Academy of Advanced Talent."

"Sweet. I go there, too. So, um, what exactly is your talent?" Mason asked helping her up off the concrete.

Makenzy looked down on the floor, shy all of a sudden. "I'm into art, and I play the electric guitar, a little," she said, her voice tiny.

"May I hear you play?" Mason asked, as he followed Makenzy into the Norses' three story almost vacation-like house.

"Sure," Makenzy answered after telling Mrs. Norse that she would be in her room.

The two 14 year old entered a room on the third story, room-themed to be like the top of the atmosphere with a sky blue paint color and fluffy white clouds painted on its walls.

"Welcome to the 'Sky High' room," Makenzy said disappearing into a nearby closet, and retreating with a light blue guitar case.

They sat on nearby white beanbags, and Makenzy plugged her (also light blue) electric guitar into the amplifier.

She tuned her guitar, and played a few notes untill the song, "Round and Round," by Selena Gomez could be detected.

There were sounds of May and her best friend, Sunnie Calandra's voices, and then a 15 year old, named Ivy Calandra came in, and helped herself to a seat next to Makenzy, where she could see the notes and lyrics clearly.

Ivy met eyes with Makenzy, and smiled at her. As soon as words for the song came, Ivy sang the lyrics in a voice that wasn't necessarily for the lead, but for at least a back up.

"You see me standing there, and act like you don't know me.

But last night, you were calling me, saying you love me.

Oh, why you always make me feel like I'm the one that's crazy!

You feel my heart racin'. My, my heart racin'.

Boy, I need you here with me.

We can't go on this way.

I'm fallen hard for you, all I can say...

We're goin' round and round, never gonna stop going

Round and round, never get where we goin'

Round and round, well your gonna miss me,

Cuz I'm getting dizzy, going round and round and round!"


Makenzy stopped playing, and Ivy's melodic, soft voice became a thing of the past. There was an awkward silence, just sitting there in front of the two 14 year olds and the one 15 year old.

Mason cleared his throat to at least start something. "Uh, I-I like your playing, Makenzy. Tip-top form,"he said awkwardly.

"So, uh, I'll see you two at school or something. Uh, bye-" and with that, Mason ran off like a scared little 4 year old (and yes, Makenzy would know what that looked like).

Ivy rolled her eyes in dismay. "So nice to meet you, Makenzy. I'm Ivy Moonstone Calandra, big sister of the one of the munchkins playing downstairs.

Makenzy smiled. "So you go to Academy of Advanced Talent, too?"

"Yeah. I sing a little, and play the acoustic guitar," Ivy answered, playing with the dangling bracelets on her wrist. "It's pretty harsh there, just a heads up."

Makenzy stomach turned. Ivy must have seen the panic on her face. "Don't worry! You already know me, and Mason."

Then, she saw Makenzy's eyes brighten at the hearing of Mason's name. "Good luck keeping him under your finger, though," Ivy warned. "You'll know what I mean when you see it."

Posted 8:18 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment